I’ve never owned a scale and have never followed a diet of any kind simply because I love food and don’t typically do well with anything that’s forbidden. If I’m told not to do something, or not to eat something, I tend to want to do it more, or eat more of the said foods.
That’s why the #NewYearNewMe challenge appealed to me. I was eager to lose weight and get back in shape after our baby was born and was even more excited to learn that I didn’t have to follow a strict diet with rules that I would feel bad about breaking.
The CalorieStory app on Facebook has helped me track my calorie intake and although I haven’t been vigilant about tracking my meals every single day, it has made me more aware of what I’m eating/drinking on a regular basis.
The CarbLovers Diet book that was sent me for this challenge has helped me out as well. Filled with some amazing recipes and helpful hints, I’ve learned quite a bit about healthy eating and losing weight without having to give up the carbs that I enjoy.
Health magazine editors, Ellen Kunes and Frances Largeman-Roth, RD, are behind this helpful book and inspire readers to be more creative with family meals instead of eliminating certain items from your diet, like so many other weight-loss programs tend to do.
These 4 CarbLovers Rules helped maintain my excitement over this challenge and I hope it encourages you as well.
- Eat a CarbStar at every meal. Carbohydrate-rich foods contain two types of starch. The one we hear about most often is high-glycemic starch (found in the foods we’ve been told to avoid) which is absorbed quickly and raises blood sugar. It also causes a spike in energy.The other type of starch is called Resistant Starch – a weight-loss powerhouse because it does not get absorbed into the bloodstream or broken down into glucose.CarbStars include oatmeal, bananas, beans and lentils, potatoes, whole-grain pasta, barley, brown rice, peas, rye and pumpernickel bread, polenta and potato chips.
- Balance your plates. CarbStars should take up around 1/4 of your plate. The rest of your meals will be filled with great weight-loss boosters like lean meats and low-fat dairy products, good fats, and fruits & veggies.
- Never let yourself go hungry. The meals found in the recipe section of this book will leave you feeling fully satisfied. Research shows that when you feel full, you’re much more likely to stick with a new weight-loss plan.
- Enjoy what you love to eat. Most diets out there dictate what we CAN’T eat even though there’s solid research out there that suggests we end up bingeing on the foods that we’re forbidden to eat. On the CarbLovers Diet, you won’t have to give up anything. You can indulge (in moderation) every day.
Other great things to keep in mind about carbs:
- CarbLovers carbs curb hunger better than other types of foods. They’re rich in fiber and low in calories.
- People feel happier when they include carbs in their diets and crankier when they restrict them.
- Carbs prevent fatigue. Resistant Starch carbs help your body burn fat more efficiently so you stay energized longer.
The list of Resistant Starch foods are some of my favorites so this “diet” is perfect for me. The foods found in the recipe section made my mouth water and I marked at least a dozen that I want to start including in our weekly meal plan. These are healthy meals that support your weight-loss goals and that your entire family will love.
Tell me these recipes don’t sound delicious: Black Bean Tacos, Polenta Fritters with Asparagus & Eggs, Zucchini & Potato Scramble with Bacon, Black Bean & Zucchini Quesadillas, Bistro-Style Sirloin with New Potatoes, Caribbean Mahi Mahi with Banana Chutney. My mouth is watering already.
The book also includes a section on a workout routine that you can easily incorporate along with these yummy recipes. The fact that this weight-loss challenge has me more excited about food is a good sign that it’s a diet that will be much easier for most people to follow than others that “encourage” you to eliminate certain things from your pantry.
If you would like to win a copy of The CarbLovers Diet, there are several ways you can enter. One winner will be randomly chosen on February 1st.
- Leave a comment below stating what CarbLovers recipe you’re most excited to try.
- Leave a comment below listing what you had for breakfast this morning and the number of calories consumed. You can keep track on the CalorieStory Facebook app and monitor your intake as well as taking the challenge (you’re entered to win some great prizes through the sponsors when you do).
- Earn an extra entry by sharing this post on Twitter (leave a separate comment when you do with a link to your mention).
- Earn an additional entry by sharing this post on Facebook (leave a separate comment after you do).
Good luck and Happy Dieting!
Happy Healthy Hip Parenting
Peace Begins in the Home